Rollover product image for a larger view.
The Altra Instinct is built on the principles of "natural" running. With a zero-drop design (heel and forefoot at the same height), the Instinct promotes a mid to forefoot striking pattern. The shoe provides enough protection to be used for daily training.
Need fit help?
Weight: 9.1 oz (size 9)
Stack Height: Heel (16mm), Forefoot (16mm)
How It Fits (based on width D) Width D=Medium
- Sizing: Standard running shoe length
- Heel: Medium to narrow
- Midfoot: Medium to full volume
- Forefoot: Wide to medium width
- Toe-Box height: Low
- Arch Structure: Medium height
- Release date: July 2011
- Model discontinued: Unknown
The Instinct is a minimum feature, minimum neutral shoe designed for daily training and high mileage. It is built with a semi-curved shape.
- A-Bound is a recycled, environmentally friendly midsole compound for resilient underfoot protection.
- EVA midsole foam for durable cushioning.
- Natural Ride System (NRS) design includes a more natural, foot-shaped last, zero millimeter heel to toe drop, and metatarsal-specific shapes in the outsole to assist in proper foot mechanics and allow for more natural foot movement.
- Air Mesh provides light, breathable coverage.
- Heel Claw construction uses a snug fit around the heel for added support.
- A-Wrap design holds feet securely around the midfoot and allows for a roomy toe-box.
- Seamless Upper reduces irritation and provides next-to-foot comfort.
- Support Insoles are 5mm-thick removable insoles designed for runners needing more traditional support and a molded arch.
- Strengthen Insoles are 3mm-thick removable insoles made of A-bound material, with a flat platform designed to strengthen runners' feet.
- Asymmetrical Lacing Design follows the shape of the foot for an improved fit and feel.
- Drilex liner manages moisture for a dry and comfortable foot environment.
- Strobel Last with the upper stitched to full length fabric for a comfortable underfoot feel.
- FootPod Outsole follows the natural construction of the human foot for maximum flexibility and a responsive ride.
Shoefitr shows you how a shoe will fit.
Shoefitr collects the internal measurements of shoes using 3D scanners.
We compare measurements of your current shoe to the one you want to buy...
...and recommend the best-fitting size.
FOOTWEAR PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS